Tuesday, February 1, 2022

The hiatus is over...

Looking at this blog, it has been almost two years since my last post. It seems that the pandemic cut into my gaming life as much as, if not more than, my "real" life. 

I can't even say that I've spent the time huddled in my basement, painting figs, making terrain, and prepping for truly epic games as the pandemic slowly marches toward an endemic. Rather, I have done those things, but not at the level one would expect after two years. As my buddy Ken says, we "fell out of the habit of gaming".

Instead, I took the time to reorganize and prioritize.  In the interim, we finished the basement, so the gaming area is "legit" and storage of my gaming collection is now more finite. I also filled the void with DMing a virtual D&D campaign, which is still rolling. It is fun on many levels, but doesn't quite scratch the gaming itch.  

During the process, I ran across an old calendar (2017) that featured many of the games from 2016. It was a great year. I finished the pirate campaign and ConnCon was a good one. Revisiting that time helped me look ahead and think about what I want to accomplish in 2022.

2022 Gaming Declarations 

First of all, I want to get the gang back into the "habit of gaming". The idea of "if you invite them, they will come" has taken a hit since 2020, so I'll try to make game nights as enticing as possible. 

Second, I am going to try to stay focused on multiple fronts. Rangers of Shadow Deep has piqued my interest. I plan on using that system to bolster my medieval fantasy collection by finishing projects, such as building and painting already-owned terrain, painting minis I've owned for a while, and putting a product on the table I'm proud of and players want to play. 

As creation for that game winds down, Rangers itself can be played with the fruits of my labor. That's when I'll start finishing my western collection. I have many minis to paint, a town sitting in a plastic tub to be finished, and new rules to try out (Ruthless: The Fastest Rules in the West). 

That is not to say that I'll solely be focused on those two projects. I know there will be weeks where I'm not quite ready to play either game. In those instances, I plan on actually playing some of the games I already have on tap. Crazy idea, I know. 

Third, I want to keep this blog going. I know I should shift to FB, but I'm loathe to do that. I do so in the hopes that 'net searches will find this spot faster than something on FB. If what I enter here helps a fellow gamer, all the better.

Okay, then. There's a novella in the books. My next post will be about a game I'm running for the upcoming March to Victory convention in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment