Sunday, May 12, 2019

Axles and Alloys AAR

I tried Gaslands by Osprey Publishing in September at Recruits convention. While I wasn't as enamored with the rules as I'd hoped I'd be, there were a few things in the game that I thought I could incorporate into Axles and Alloys (Free rules. If you want a copy, leave a message below). The idea of gates for races was an "Aha!" moment for me. I didn't have time to "pretty up" the gates, so you get to see them "raw" in the photos.

Players: Terry (mustard), Jon Mark (black with yellow stripe), Tim (red), Greg (blue), and me (faded black).



I decided on a somewhat twisted race design where players had to approach the first gate from an acute angle and then could make sweeping turns through gate two to the finish. The only other rule was players couldn't shoot or use dropper weapons until after they'd gone through the first gate. They could ram before that point, though. Boy, did we!


The first casualty was Tim's medium weight vehicle, courtesy of me ramming him into a stone outcropping.


My luck wasn't great, either. As Team Fishbat's medium and Team Steamer's heavy approached the first gate, my car slid a little too far and crashed into the gate's side beam. I guess bald tires and loose dirt don't mix well!


Meanwhile, Jon Mark's light car kept its nose clean and broke away from the pack.


The Rhino (back left) was searching for a target.


It found one in Greg's medium car. While it destroyed the smaller vehicle, the flames from a passing flamethrower finally killed Rhino's driver. He died, struggling to evacuate the vehicle.


Team Fishbat, round through the second gate...


...and easily making it through the finish for the win!

It was a great night of racing, with the usual A&A antics on full display. I really like the gates and have since finished painting them as well as adding another portal to the mix.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I’d like to try A&A again sometime. Gaslands is fun but wonky thing can happen.

    ReplyDelete